About Me

I am currently living in Provo, UT and teaching 3rd grade at a charter school. It's a lot of work but I have liked it so far and am excited for amazing opportunities ahead.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 14, 16 to go

Madame Librarian

Still not feeling 100% - gotta love a nasty cold. If there hadn't been so much going on at school today, I would have stayed home. But, alas, my students came first. one word: Dayquill. It's amazing. I think it works wonders. At least for about 4 hours. I took some this morning, but haven't taken any more. I thought I was doing better - but at about 5:30, the drugs were definitely wearing off- Hello Mr. Sniffles. Needless to say, I had to, once again, do something pretty simple today. I have been reading Super Fudge to my class and we just finished it today. Bingo - I needed a new book to read aloud. I wanted to get a new book that I haven't read to my class before - I've read some books several times. My older sister came to mind on my way home today. A long time ago, we started a book club to read Newberry Books and she is the only one still keeping it up. Respect to the sister!! She told me of one book that she listened to on tape with her kids - The 21 Balloons. I think I remember a teacher reading it to me in school. It's about a man who is on an adventure in a hot air balloon and crashes an a mysterious island where the people living there have kind of a unique civilization... hmm... Lost, much???? I haven't really read an adventurous story like this to my students before so I took to the Newberry shelf at the library. Don't worry, I have been to the library before and I have read Newberry books before.
The new factor of today lies in the fact that I got a book I haven't read in 20 years to read aloud to my students. I also checked out another book that I remember that I loved: The Summer of the Monkies. Another teacher at my school has been reading it to her class and I have been wanting to get that one too. I'm excited to expose my students to some new books that they may not ever have read otherwise.

1 comments:

Alli and Rick said...

mylee is the madame librarian! Props for keeping up the book club. Let me know how the balloon book is adrienne- i might have to read that one