About Me

I am currently living in Provo, UT and teaching 3rd grade at a charter school. It's a lot of work but I have liked it so far and am excited for amazing opportunities ahead.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 15, 15 to go

MEMORIAL DAY
Today, we have reached the halfway point and I am feeling about 75% better than yesterday so I thought I should do something a little special. Something that I wanted to do during this experience was to visit my Grandma Slack's grave. Since it is only about 2 minutes from my house, I thought it would be something nice to do. My grandma died in 1994 and my family and I have been to her grave every Memorial Day since, but I wanted to go on my own. This was my mom's mom. She lived in Provo and I remember going to visit her so often. Sunday dinners, 4th of July, eating at Riverside Country Club, etc. etc. I have so many memories. This is picture of her as a young girl.


Elizabeth Sutton Slack


Over the weekend, I was talking with my mom and sister and they brought up having a Grandma Slack day - eating food she might have made, going a place we might have gone with her etc. And I mentioned to my mom that I had on my list to put flowers on her grave (NOT fake ones - my grandma always said that she would haunt anyone who put fake flowers on her grave). My mom told me that I should get some fall leaves because she loved to go see the fall leaves. So, today on my way home, I made a little detour up the canyon to find some leaves.


I love how the sun is shining through the trees!!

One exciting part of the drive up the canyon: having to slam on my brakes to avoid a pigeon running across the road. Not having hit any roadkill, I finally found some red, gold, yellow, leaves and a sunflower (just because they were everwhere!) I drove to the cemetary and fashioned a little fall bouquet to leave on her grave.

It was a really special and fun afternoon. I will always remember my grandma and I feel lucky that I live so close that those memories are around me almost every day!

1 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow....what a special thing. Thank you Adrienne for doing this. I know Grandma Slack is smiling on you. I am so glad you have these neat memories of her.
Thanks.