About Me

I am currently living in Provo, UT and teaching 3rd grade at a charter school. It's a lot of work but I have liked it so far and am excited for amazing opportunities ahead.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 6, 24 to go

"Do the Watermelon Crawl"


Today, a necessity became my new thing! My sister asked me to bring a cut up watermelon to my nieces' birthday party. Strange as it may seem, I have never bought and cut up a watermelon on my own. I have helped cut one up, but this was all me! I really wanted to stop at a road side fruit stand on Saturday to purchase one, but every one I drove by was not selling watermelons. This was a shame because I wanted to have that as my new experience for that day. Anyway, off to Winco for other groceries in addition to a large watermelon. It was really big!! I didn't get a before picture of it, but I could have fed about 30 people with it!!!


So, my roommate had an awesome knife and I got to work.








Thanks to watching/helping my mom, I have learned the best way to cut a watermelon. It's easy!!! Success!! This is what it looked like when I was done:


Told you I could feed 30 people!! There was SOOO much watermelon.

Now, picking out a good watermelon is always iffy. I've always been told to thump it, and listen to see if it sounds hollow. If it sounds hollow, it should be good. Well, I don't know about you, but every watermelon sounds hollow to me. Another setback is that I don't even like watermelon. How to know if it was good? Enter my awesome roommate, Heidi. She tried a bite and, again, success! Not mushy and very sweet!!! Yeah! Then it was time to pack it up and head out to party. Look at me, I'm such a homemaker!!

1 comments:

Heidi said...

It sure was difficult to have to taste test all the pieces of watermelon. But you were worth the sacrifice. Let me know if you ever need that kind of help again!