About Me

I am currently living in Provo, UT and teaching 3rd grade at a charter school. It's a lot of work but I have liked it so far and am excited for amazing opportunities ahead.

Monday, October 24, 2011

THE NEXT 30 DAYS, PART 2. Day 24 6 to go

Incommunicado

Remember the good old days before cell phones? Ahhh, it was a much simpler time wasn't it.If you were lost, you figured it out. If you were meeting someone, you had to show up - no texting to say you lost track of time. No worries about dead batteries, being out of range or service, not to mention those expensive bills. How did we ever live without them? Somehow we managed. I mentioned to a friend last week that I was going to go without my cell phone for a day. She told me I was crazy, and that it is dangerous. What if my car broke down or if I had some other kind of problem. I gave a lot of thought to what she said. True, having that cell phone handy does make you feel a bit safer. But I just kept thinking of how we managed before cell phones just fine. I decided to give it a try. And for extra incentive, I accidentally left my charger at my parents house, so it was dead anyway. Maybe that was a touch of serendipity. I charged it with my roommates charger so I could use it as an alarm. I got up this morning and turned off my cell phone immediately,  got ready and drove off, sans phone. I went to my carpool's appointed meeting spot only to find that my carpool wasn't there. 15 minutes later, still not there. Not having a cell phone to call or text her, I drove off. I couldn't wait any longer. After getting to school without incident, not having my phone was not such a big deal. Later, I asked my friend what had happened this morning, and of course she said "Didn't you get my text?" Nope. Not today. She told me that she got up late and texted me that she would just drive herself. So, a little mishap, but no big deal.
I think I may have found an answer to the question "how did we ever manage without cell phones?". The answer is that no one  else had a cell phone either. Everyone was in the same boat. Today, you just assume that everyone has a working cell phone on their person if you need to contact them. In fact, it's almost taken as rude if someone doesn't respond to you. Why didn't you respond to my call/text that I sent less than 10 minutes ago? You have your phone right there, right? Well, on the day that you don't have your phone right there, will you survive? I have, so far.

0 comments: