About Me

I am currently living in Provo, UT and teaching 3rd grade at a charter school. It's a lot of work but I have liked it so far and am excited for amazing opportunities ahead.

Monday, October 3, 2011

THE NEXT 30 DAYS, PART 2. Day 3, 27 to go

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!!

In preparation for an upcoming adventure on Saturday (hosting a football party) I thought it would be a good idea to resarch and learn a few things about the game... and its players.
Here are a few things I didn't know before. (Don't laugh at what may be considered ignorance) and correct me if my research led me astray.

A kickoff happens at the beginning of hte 1st and 3rd periods, and after every touchdown

A punt is usually made on a 4th down when the offense has to surrender possession of the ball

A 2 point conversion is when the offense, after scoring a touchdown, gets the ball on the 2 yard line and gets the ball across the goal line.

A safety is 2 points, and the most important thing is impetus (an offensive player that gives the ball momentum...) The defense gets a safety if the ball goes into the opponents endzone and it becomes dead without changing possession. It can also be awarded because of a penalty or when a blocked punt goes out of the kicking team's end zone... still a bit confused about a safety, but learned more than I knew before.

The ref's sign for 4th down is raising his fist above his head.
Loss of down is both hands on the back of the head (looking like he is about to kick back and relax...)

If the QB is standing about 5 yards behind the center, there's a 98% chance he'll pass the ball, otherwise he'll pass to the running back.

And lastly, I decided to get to know a few of our local BYU Cougar heroes. Ok, maybe that's a little optimistic given their past performance, but they still deserve recognition, right?

Jake Heaps, QB
Bryan Kariya and  JJ Di Luigi (is this Mario's brother???)  Running back
Graham Rowley and Eathyn Manumaleuna, our defensive ends
Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo- our wide receivers Going long. chasing those beautiful passes

Well, I think I learned a little bit more about this game and am somewhat more prepared to host a football gameday party at my house on Saturday, If you want to come, let me know - I'm providing french dip sandwiches. Also, if you can think of anything else I need to know about this great American pasttime, leave it here.

0 comments: